Wednesday, February 10, 2010

having skipped Vienna for summer camp

there is a certain
poetry
to the way the dust swirls
about the
rolling feet of vehicles
coming down the lane,
to moths dancing
around the light fixture
which is a few bulbs short

there is a certain
music
that floats across
brown grass fields
from children's throats
as they frolic in the mud,
from hot aluminum pans
fresh scrubbed of
crusty cheese
clattering together
on their way to the cupboard

there is a certain
beauty
in every purple plastic
milkshake cup
scattered across the road,
in the thick layer
of dust on every surface
(a virtual canvas begging
"Jeff + Becky = true love forever")
and in the soft green
strands of poison ivy
embracing every tree

August, 2002

4 comments:

  1. This is so great, Jenny! I have to admit that I will have to come back to read the entire poem, but just the first stanza is grabbing. I like that you are capturing your own space...I heard it recently called Mother Culture. If we, as mothers, are passed being spent, we will have little creativity left to pass on. :) I WILL be back. I love me some good poetry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. p.s. I am just finishing up Louisa May Alcott's "Life, Letters and Journals" and I must say, I am feeing SO inspired!!! :)

    how about a little post on some of your favorite books to inspire.......

    ReplyDelete
  3. ha, Erin...favorite books. I haven't sat down to read a "for fun" book in so long it is embarrassing. (!!) Thanks for your encouragement!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fascinating juxtaposition of earth and civilization. Seems like if earth were a mother she would be as understanding as she were pained at the human race for having to skip heaven for 2011. (Hey! that rhymes! I should try my hand @ poetry - ha ha)

    ReplyDelete